How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Norman M. Your Own Question
Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2568
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Norman M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is five and will only eat certain foods, now he will

Resolved Question:

My son is five and will only eat certain foods, now he will only eat what I cook (fresh) will not sit at table in restaurant - gets upset with smell of food, will only eat what he eats in his own home? What is this?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for visiting JA.

I think the first thing you should know is that he will not starve himself into illness, and secondly that it is not worth getting into fights over.

What you are experiencing is a worriesome but very common phase which many children go through inone way or another.

From a psychological standpoint this is seen variously as a means of beginning to exercise real choice, as ameans of asserting independence or as an anxiety based call for attention.

Make sure that you check his weight and height regularly, and so long as it stays within acceptable limits, he'll be doing fine. You can do that by using the Body Mass Index Calculator you will find here:

There is also some excellent help here:

Don't try to force him, take it calm;ly, and let him pass through this phase, unless it continues over a period of more than 6 weeks, in which case, he would best be seen by a pediatric psychiatrist.

Best wishes,
Norman M. and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you