How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ralph LMHC Your Own Question
Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 872
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Ralph LMHC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am about to file papers for divorce . my husband is emotionally

This answer was rated:

I am about to file papers for divorce . my husband is emotionally abusive and I will it is unhealthy to stay in this relationship. I finally got him to get marriage counseling with, but he can't receive. They had said he is arrested in his emotional development probable at a early age, he is narcissistic and can't connect with me. I can't have a conversation with him, he can't hold the thoughts straight and gets angry. It is around and around, exhausting me. He uses bully and intimidation tactics and get stuck on something and can't move on. He is hyper and his whole energy wipes me out. He never remembers very important things that anyone who was in relationship would remember. He has a superiority where he feels superior to others. He has self medicated himself with alcohol and pot (he hid it) He stopped because I felt that was where the abuse was coming from.At X he has bazaar behavior, in conversation he hears things wrong.What could be wrong, adhd? Bipolar? Fetal Alcohol syndrome?


First from the limited amount of information it is really impossible to provide a diagnostic impression. with any reliability. You tend to take to much responsibility when you say you have one shot. This indicates that what you do will result in an outcome. Unfortunately from what you you describe, irrespective of your behavior and any type of professional treatment he may receive, the chance of him being able to effect a behavioral change, such as cease being abusive or acting in an narcissistic fashion is remote. Try to ask him without placing any blame and avoid any judgmental statements. But it sounds as if he is somewhat fixed and the prognosis for a positive outcome is poor. I know what i am saying is quite dire, but you are better off going into counseling if he agrees, with realistic expectations. I wish you the best.




Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.


Customer: replied 7 years ago.
With medication can adhd be controlled. And what do the symptoms look like?? Like anything I mentioned in the first email?? And can it be accurately identified with testing??

Hello,with medication ADHD can definitely be controlled. See gclid=COul1dKmsaECFQuB5QodJivjAw for ADD symptoms. Testing along with intensive interview can accurately diagnose ADD. The things you mention are consistant with ADD.



Ralph LMHC

Ralph LMHC and 2 other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions