How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ralph LMHC Your Own Question
Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 872
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Ralph LMHC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been abused my entire life by my mother and brother

This answer was rated:

I have been abused my entire life by my mother and brother -mental -physical and sexual and have decided to break all ties-no matter what i am always wrong -how do i get past the guilt of leaving them to save myself?

First I am sorry you have had to go through this continued abuse. I am sure you realize that one cannot provide you with an answer to undo a lifetime of abuse in a few sentences. I can tell you straight out that it perfectly permissible to dislike your relatives be it your mother or brother. One's feelings toward others is conditional-that unconditional dictum is a bunch of "crap". So you must realize that your guilt is irrational. I would suggest a type of therapy to rectify your thinking and subsequent feeling which is plain wrong. I would recommend the use of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. In CBT, one is taught new ways of thinking and behaving and as a result, one's mood improves. anxiety and guilt decrease. In addition CBT is evidenced based as the most effective form of treating several disorders. See:

I wish you luck and suggest that you have no choice but to change or suffer.


Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask! Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Ralph LMHC and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions