Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
25692555

If you think someone is a threat to themselves and others

If you think someone is a threat to themselves and others and needs mental treatment, what can be done? A 72 hour mental hold is not enough. (New Port Richey, Florida)
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for using Justanswer.com. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, the 72 hour hold is all you can do. The judge, mental health team and psychiatrist make a decision to release someone after 72 hours if they deem they are able to be released without harming themselves or others. If the person is released and you are still concerned you can petition to have them reassessed. Hopefully, if they are reassessed and readmitted enough the discharge team will refer the person to the appropriate resources and the person will be helped if they chooses to accept the help. If you can get the person readmitted for another hold, I would suggest calling the hospital and speaking with the case manager on the case. Request possible admission to a 30 treatment facility. The case manager may try to work with the person that way.

I hope that answer helps even though I know it is a poorly insufficient solution to the problem many friends and family members see on a daily basis with the mentally ill.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or if you need further clarification of this answer.

All the best,
Kym
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That was extremely helpful. At least now I know where the situation stands. Thank you very much!
You are very welcome. Take care, Kym