Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Whats the difference between self talk and hearing voices. I…

Customer Question
Whats the difference between self...
Whats the difference between self talk and hearing voices. I have had the experience of hearing my name called and turning around but thier's no one there. I also find myself having conversations with myself in my head. I can have the radio on and a song comes on that I don't know the words too, but in my mind I could sing every word, but if I tried to sing the song out load I wouldn't be able too....
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/20/2010
Mental Health Professional: Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist replied 8 years ago
Tamara
Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Hi there. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm pleased to try to help you today.

The difference is with self-talk, you are aware that you are talking to yourself. Hearing voices means that you think someone else is talking to you. I wouldn't worry about thinking you hear someone calling your name - that's not necessarily unusual. Neither is the idea that you could sing all the words in your head, but not out loud. So based on what you have written, it doesn't sound like there is anything for you to be concerned about. Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara
Thanks for your answer but I wanna hear more about self talk. The conversations I have are like 2 or 3 different versions of myself....I ask myself a question and I get a response without even knowing what the response will be. The responses are always putting me down and telling me what to do and think. I have been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Well, if you do have borderline personality disorder, it's definitely going to affect your self-talk. But the fact that you have different versions of yourself is not at all unusual. We all have different "voices" in our head that tell us what to do, what things mean, how to interpret things, etc. Some of these voices are healthier than others, and therefore have a different perspective. And some are unhealthier and will step in and try to undermine you. so working with your self-talk is a big issue in terms of learning how to control your moods and feelings, esp. if you are dealing with BPD. So you're normal in terms of the voices talk to each other and say different things - but the goal is to get one voice that is stronger than the others and can challenge the voices that always tell you you are wrong, etc. I hope this answers your questions. Good luck. Tamara
Tamara
Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist