Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

I have been addicted to codiene & paracetamol drugs for over

I have been addicted to codiene & paracetamol drugs for over 10 years and its controlling my life and im ready to stop, I want to know if its safe for me to gradually lower how many im taking a day over a weeks period and then stop all together. I cannot go to my doctor about this.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

Your comfort level is the real determiner as you will not seize from opiate withdrawal.

The standard slow taper rate is 5% per well. So If let's say you were doing 10 pills a day. The first week you would take 9,5. The second week you will take 9 pills. It is impossible to be exact-your body and the level of discomfort you can take is your guide. I advise you buy a pill cutter as this will allow you to be more exact. Best wishes and during those down times think about how great it will be to be opiate free. Best wishes and good luck.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.