Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

I am a 49 year old female who started experiencing" anxiety

Hi, I am a 49 year old white female who started experiencing " anxiety and panic " feelings about 2 years ago. It was around this time that I was diagnosed with migraine headaches. I get these anxiety feelings when I have to " wait" in traffic, a Doctor's office etc. I experience dizziness everyday, that my neurologist says is part of my headaches. I never had anxiety issues until I discovered I was having migraines. I feel like the headaches and dizziness run my life. I am not afraid of going out, but I usually get dizzy when I do. I am a financial secretary and work full time. My son graduates next year from Military school and I want to be able to attend his graduation with out worrying about being dizzy and feeling anxiety.
Thanks
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

What medicine and for how long?

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Xanax for 1 month.

Most psychiatrist use as the first line either SSRI or SNRI like Paxcil or effexor for anxiety disorders and panic attack and reserve Benzo's for break throughs. That being said I would recommend the use of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. In CBT, one is taught new ways of thinking and behaving and as a result, one's mood improves. anxiety and panic attacks decrease. In addition CBT is evidenced based as the most effective form of treating anxiety. See:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinformation/therapies/cognitivebehaviouraltherapy.aspx

Best wishes and good luck.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.