How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 251
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My abusive widowed father just committed suicide last month.

Resolved Question:

My abusive widowed father just committed suicide last month. He was alomost 70 and I am 43. I have such mixed emotions about it.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for using I'm sorry to hear you are having mixed feelings about his suicide. This is a very normal reaction to be having. On the one hand he was your father on the other hand he was abusive. There are normal stages to grief that everyone goes through. You can read more about that here. When there is an abuse component a person will still go through similar stages and often feel guilty if there is any relief experienced when the person passes. This is very normal too. I would suggest familiarizing yourself with the grief stages and remind yourself it is really very normal if part of the mixed emotions are relief that he has passed. If the feelings get to a point where they are overwhelming or too difficult to deal with, I would suggest seeking the services of a grief counselor for a while. They are usually very well versed in helping people when the loss is a complicated one.

I hope this answer helps. Please let me know i fyou have any other questions or if you need further clarification of this answer.

Take care,
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you