How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ralph LMHC Your Own Question
Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 872
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Ralph LMHC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 14 year old son was diagnost with adhdwhen he was in

This answer was rated:

my 14 year old son was diagnost with adhdwhen he was in about the 3rd grade. he was on different meds which never did help much. the dr.s kept trying new meds. and at one time he was on six or seven different meds. none of which seemed to help and i had finally had enough of the guinie oig strategies and i weened him off all of them myself and never took him back. i would rather have a "hyper kid than a dead one. now, my son is in the eighth grade, supposed to be in the nineth, and we are at the point that the school has filed unruly charges on him. i asked the schools for help with an i.e.p. but they all said that his i.q. was too high for help in that area. my son is very bright, loving and does not display the problems at home that he does in school. my son , when in public places, displays outward awkwardness, almost like he doesn't know how he is suppose to act with unknown people or places. my sons father is an alchoholic and has called my son stupid, idiot and an array of differ


Given the poor treatment that your son has received, I suggest that you take him to a University Teaching Hospital-Department of Psychiatry for a thorough evaluation with testing. There are also facilities that use behavioral means to deal with ADHD. I do not believe that the school is alllowed to refuse an IEP as he is a special needs child based upon behavior which has nothing to do with intellligence (IQ), but they do so to save money. I suggest you contact the school board and threaten legal action or even the State Department of Education. You can also get assistance from NAMI at who can provide guidance and direction. I am sorry he has received such shabby treatment


Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Ralph LMHC and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions