How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 251
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an 11 year old grandson. Two years ago my son and his

Resolved Question:

I have an 11 year old grandson. Two years ago my son and his wife split up and it was a very difficult time for everyone. My grandson moved 5 times and changed schools 3 times and mother went into a mentally abusive relationship. Now my grandson is getting very angry and mostly directed to mum and some friends at scholl. My son and I am looking for help for him with mums permission but she does not think he needs help. Can you advise us how to move forward.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for using I'm sorry to hear your grandson is going through this. Unfortunately, grandparents have very few rights when it comes to issues like these. The only time you can force a change is if you witness child abuse or neglect and then you can report it to the proper agency and they can look into the situation further. If they find the abuse or neglect is founded they can force his mum to take him to a therapist. If she is still in the mentally abusive relationship this might warrant a report. You could call and ask them if this situation would apply. If your son, his father?, has full custody, he has the right to take his son to a therapist for an evaluation or he can petition the courts to allow a psychotherapeutic evaluation.

I hope this answer helps, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Take care,
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions