Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

Is it necessary to perform a cat scan on a person who has Schizophrenia

Customer Question

Is it necessary to perform a cat scan on a person who has Schizophrenia at age 70. This was recommended because the medication he is on is not working. He was diagnose two and half years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, by suggesting CAT scan the treating doctor , would like to rule out an old age related organic brain syndrome like dementia , where in along with thinking impairment , psychosis may also develop as a complication , and if dementia is found on CAT SCAN , then some cognitive enhancer drugs like Aricept AND memantine , would be given to th patient , plus the dose of anti psychotic like haloperidol needs to be reduced for better effective control over the symptoms of schizophrenia and for patient's safety as using anti psychotics in old age dementia , need to be thoroughly supervised and the anti psychotic need to be given at low dose ..

So, i would endorse the idea of CAT scan , to rule out dementia ,but it is your discretion as to get it done or not..

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best...

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards..