How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tamara Your Own Question
Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1073
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Tamara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 30 year old daughter is having a breakdown, she is

Customer Question

my 30 year old daughter is having a breakdown, she is divorced and has 2 boys ages 3 and 1 1/2.
We are, at this point, afraid of suicide yet she won't let anyone talk to her about, she just goes ballastic, starts yelling and talking vuglar,then gets in her car and takes off running.
there is alot more to it but that's a brief explation.
I am her Fatherand I don't know who to call for help and I'm afraid I'm going to lose my daughter, please help me. ***** ***** ***@******.***
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Tamara replied 7 years ago.
Hi there. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm pleased to try to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear about the situation with your daughter. I know this is very scary for you. Unfortunately, because she is an adult, there is very little you can do about any of this - which seems very unfair, but the system is set up to protect people from being abused by others who just don't like how they are behaving. The bot***** *****ne is going to be that you will have to continue to try to get her to get help. If she threatens suicide, then you can call the police and have her taken in for evaluation. But you can't do that just because you think she suicidal - she has to threaten to kill herself. You could also try to have her involuntarily committed (legal process through an attorney and the court) but that is likely to not be successful as you would have to prove that she is a danger to herself or others (being angry and unreasonable isn't enough). Given the above, I think your best approach is to try to not fight with her when you are with her, and see if she can get to the point where she can calm down a little. She is clearly having a lot of problems, but if she is perceiving you as the enemy, she isn't going to let you help. Try to be there for her and help her figure things out for herself. Be her friend right now, not her parent. I know that' hard, but given what you have said, I don't see any other options.

Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara