Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

12 Year old girl, no fater figure, but 3 step-fathers,

Customer Question
mother is narcissistic and denies...
12 Year old girl, no fater figure, but 3 step-fathers, mother is narcissistic and denies knowledge of what tramatized girl. Symptoms: lying, stealing, blank stare,innattentive to her hygiene, to the extreme of not using the bathroom while sleeping. Will defacate and urinate in panties, if taken off, she leaves it in the bed, or ides it where it molds and ruins clothing. Denies the behavior with evidence present. Menstral cycle, leave the pads by her bed, possibly undercovers, or ides in drawers. Has actually taken a #2 in her mothers shoes. During the school day, no incidents, no reports from nurse or school. When home just will not use bathroom , and doesn't wipe or clean up after incident. and defiant about it. I'm at my wits end to help her. I took her in a# ***** ago, but between the smell and ruined clothes, and behavior, I let her go back to mother. I know she needs professional help. What am I dealing with? How can I help her
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mental Health
4/1/2010
Mental Health Professional: Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA replied 7 years ago
Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
This child is extremely traumatised, I think, and things have gone well past the stage where you can do much more yourself.

It is not possible to be definitive about what is wrong with her without a face to face assessment, and the very first step is for her to be seen by a pediatric psychiatrist, or your family doctor in case a refferal is needed.

She will probably need tretment with medication and therapy, and the sooner she is eeen the better.
My thoughts exactly. I think she has been violated /tramatized , absolutely. What I was wondering was what kind of tramaziation? I am looking for someone competant and experienced to deal with this, but you think it stems from...? I certainly have my opinions of what would cause this. I think the professional needs to include the mother, and possible step father, siblings,? Sexual, abuse. I need to know who and what they would title thmselves as. I do not think a "general" run of the mill counselor will have the faintest idea of what to do. I do not want some one whho will cause more damage.
Thanks for getting back to me.
As I said, the best person for her to see is a pediatric psychiatrist, who will b e able to make a full evaluation of what is happening to her.

You can be sure that he/she will be well aware of the possibility of abuse of any kind.

I'm afraid it would be useless at this stage to speculate on what may have happened, as for, we have no evidence on which to base a conclusion. The pediatric psychiatrist is therefor the first port of call for you.
Norman M.
Norman M.