Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

Is clopixol effective in the treatment of PTSD?

Customer Question

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

Clopixol is not the normal treatment for PTSD. It is generally used for psychosis such as hallucinations and delusions. Normally SSRI like paxcil or zoloft, or SNRI like effexor or used. I would certainly ask the prescribing physician why he/she is using an anti psychotic rather than the more typical medications.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

thanks,

i have clopixol for the comorbid schizophrenia i suffer. It is said that cbt would work for the ptsd. I wondered as I asked him for risperidol as well and he said that clopixol is a part of risperidol just at a higher dosage.

thanks you're very helpful

nick

That information changes the picture somewhat. With a comorbid psychosis an anti psychotic will add with the psychotic symptom, however the other meds I mentioned would e appropriate for any depressive and anxiety reaction. CBT is certainly an effective psychotherapy for PTSD. I am more familiar with physicians prescribing respiridol because of its lower side effect profile. But bothy meds make sense. With respect to CBT

I would recommend the use of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. In CBT, one is taught new ways of thinking and behaving and as a result, one's mood improves. anxiety and panic attacks decrease. In addition CBT is evidenced based as the most effective form of treating anxiety. See:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinformation/therapies/cognitivebehaviouraltherapy.aspx

Best wishes.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC