Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

I have just recently separated from my partner whom I

I have just recently separated from my partner whom I believe is suffering from morbid jealousey. He firmly believes that I have had an affair and has fabricated what he called evidence. Is it possible for the relationship to b repaired because although the relationship became abusive with his contant questioning and monitoring there is still a part of him that I very much love. Is he likely to do this to every relationship that he has in the future if we cant work it out between us. He doesnt think that he has done anything wrong but I still have a litttle hope that things could be fixed between us. I know it is difficult to give any real details with out having all the information but I just need to get an idea of what our chances are and if he could be dangerous also if this is going to continue with all his future relationships. We have two small children involved.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

This sounds like a character trait and the probability is that he will continue to have that trait. It is possible that you can maintain the relation, but again the likelihood is the trait will remain. If you can accept this then there is a greater chance of maintaining the relation. Chances would be greatly improved if the both of you were to engage in couples therapy. You can find a good therapist at http://www.aamft.org/. Best of luck

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am fully prepaired to engage in therapy but he firmly believes that I have had an affair and cant seen to get past it and sees that he has done nothing wrong. How do I get him into therapy. If we can not get back together will he do this with every relationship he has from here on. In the beginning we were very happy and it was only once he started drinking very heavily that teh problems started. I also know that he is suffering from experiences he had on active duty in the army. If we can work it out how successful and happy are relationships where one is suffering from morbid jealosey.

You had not mentioned the alcohol and that lessens any chance of reconciliation as does his fixation that you had an affair, Unfortunately he does not t seem disposed to modifying his belief which does not bode well for a reconciliation. As you well know it takes two to change and that does not seem to be the case. This will probably occur in all future relations as it is a character trait which he does not see as a problem,

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC