How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ralph LMHC Your Own Question
Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 872
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Ralph LMHC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and i parted when my youngest daughter was nearly

Customer Question

my husband and i parted when my youngest daughter was nearly 8 years old, she is approaching her 11th birthday andin her final year in primary school and over the last few months has been showing signs of not wanting to be on her own at bedtime preferring to have me or her older sister(17) with her and as a result wil stay awake until her sister or i come to bed. she continues to say that she is frightened that someithing is giong to happen to her, she has fab relationship with her dad whom i also have a very amicable relationship with. i feel though that because of my ex husbands irregular shift patterm ( he is a police officer) we have never been able to maintain a regular contact routine and as a consequence the children are in no weekly/monthly routine as to when theyhave contact with both myself and dad. she has sats exams fastly approaching and following our recent parent teacher interview i feel that the lack of sleep her school work is suffering,
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.


I think your perception of the lack of consistancy may very well cause the lack of sleep. Clearly te lack of sleep can cause a decrease in her cognitive ability. I would strongly advise that the child see a child therapist and possibily consider family therapy.


Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.