How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ralph LMHC Your Own Question
Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 872
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Ralph LMHC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife is severely depressed but refuses to take medicine

Resolved Question:

My wife is severely depressed but refuses to take medicine as treatment, stating that they won't work, will make her feel detached or will make her get fat and retrigger her bulimia.
She refuses to acknowledge that her depression is what paralyzes her, makes her feel trapped, hopeless, friendless, a "loser", etc. I try to talk to her but she says I'm not listening. What should I do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.


I would suggest that your wife undergo a thorough evaluation by a cognitive behaviorial therapist. . In CBT, one is taught new ways of thinking and behaving and as a result, one's mood improves. anxiety decrease. In addition CBT is evidenced based as the most effective form of treating anxiety. See:

It can prove effective even without medication.


Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

In the past when I have suggested therapy, she will not make an appointment. Short of kidnapping her what is a good way to suggest therapy?

Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

I would suggest that you frame it as your problem and that you see a family therapist. This may make it it easier for her to accept it without feeling threatened, etc. You can find a good family therapist at .


Ralph LMHC

Ralph LMHC and 3 other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions