Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

how fast can I get off of zoloft

how fast can I get off of zoloft? I have been on zoloft for 1 year and half and I would like to try to get off of it. I am currently taking 50 mg. How should I taper down?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.

Hey Yuka,

The best way is to call the prescribing doc's office and ask for a step-down schedule...you can usually get that over the phone from the nurse, and it insures that someone has read your record and you won't have any side effects that interfere with other medicines or issues. We can't advise you to take medication in a way that is different from what the prescribing physician orders, but here is some info about Zoloft leaving your system...

Zoloft has a half-life of about one day. That means that for every day that passes without taking the medication the level in the blood falls by 50%. After one day the level is reduced to 50% of the original level, after two days to 25%, after three days to 12.5%, and so on. Most people cut it in half and stay there till they're comfortable and then either in half again or just stop.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna