How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Norman M. Your Own Question
Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2568
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Norman M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you give me the names of any Psychiatrists with

Customer Question

Can you give me the names of any Psychiatrists with experience in helping children who are bipolar? We live in South Australia but would travel anywhere to get the help we need.
The child is a 7 year old boy. His mother and her two sisters are bipolar and there is a history of it on his father's side also. I am the child's grandmother and intimately involved as his mother (my daughter) has an enormous struggle managing on her own. The parents are separated. There is a 5yo brother who shows no symptoms.
I am deeply concerned, not only for my little grandson who showed signs of self harm yesterday, but for my daughter who is in a precarious position healthwise. She has searched for help long and hard but so far no success.
My middle girl's symptoms began at age 9. With no knowledge of the bipolar illness in the family, I began a search that took years and much suffering before she was diagnosed. This shouldn't be necessary with the knowledge we have now. Can you help? THANK YOU
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for visitng JA.

I can't give you a direct referral, but the MIFSA (Mental Illness Fellowship of South Australia) Help Line (tel
8378 4100) will be able to do so.

Their website is at

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. I am already in touch with Mifsa, in fact they are helping my daughter right now. Somehow I hoped for more compelling information from you but as you are inthe US, realise now that was unreasonable of me. However, as the choice is mine, I would like a refund of the $18. I am a retired person on a low income so you will understand that $18 is needed for following this matter up closer to home.

Thank you very much for your attempt to help. Regards, 'Customer'

Expert:  Norman M. replied 7 years ago.
Sorry I could not be more helpful, but I think you'll find that you have not paid anything until you actually accept the answer. I'll pass this on to admin for you, and good luck.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Norman,

I've been giving consideration how my communication with this site could be more helpful. Could you transfer my query to a Psychiatrist for whom I would have just one question. What medication would he prescribe a seven (nearly eight) year old boy who was definitely diagnosed with the bipolar condition?

Doctors in Australia are very averse to diagnosing bipolar condition in children but my daughter has begun taking her son to a Peaediatric psychiatrist with the hope that he will be open minded about the situation. It would be useful to know what would be prescribed in the US (where work has been going on for years with children diagnosed as bipolar) just simply as an aid to knowing what was reasonable to prescribe.

Our own experience tells us that epilum would be a likely drug for mood swings in children. Perhaps there are others drugs we should know about. I look forward to hearing from a psychiatrist and thank you for your input and kind reply. I gave you a difficult job simply by being overseas. Kind regards,Customer