How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. G. Your Own Question
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1523
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to get help for my grandson who is into drugs

Resolved Question:

I am trying to get help for my grandson who is into drugs and denial. He says he's had a hard life..which he hasn't. He's a great actor - claimed he was sick just to get some phenegran? Didn't know this was addictive. He also smokes pot.
I was wondering if you could help someone like this or do I need to go to a different kind of Dr.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 years ago.
Does he live with you? Is he open to help? Does he admit to having a problem?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

He lived with me off and on till he was 17 then moved back home when mother (my daughter) got out of rehab. He resents that she "left" him for all those years and now is doing pretty much the same thing she did - just not as bad.

He admits to the pot but not the other stuff.

Sometimes he's open to talking to someone and sometimes not - just got to get to him at the right time.

Don't know where to turn. My other daughter and I are thinking of a family "meeting" to let him know we are aware of his feelings but what he is doing is not acceptible.

With him having the drug charge he is supposed to stay at home or work but he has since lost his job for a no show.

Do these interventions ever work? What should we cover in our conversation?

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 years ago.
The interventions do work. You call the family together and tell him that everyone wants him to get help or that they will not support him or his addiction anymore. Have a place lined up for him to go prior to this meeting. Be ready to cut ties with him if he refuses to go. The family can no longer enable his addiction. You can also talk with the judge or prosecuting attorney and have him court-ordered to treatment. You should look into that option.
Dr. G. and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you