Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I suspect that my husband is narcissistic, but some of the

Customer Question
symptoms do not apply to...
I suspect that my husband is narcissistic, but some of the symptoms do not apply to him. The main ones that make me wonder if he's narcissistic are the grandiosity, the unrealistic goals, expecting people to go along with what he wants, and will lie and manipulate to get what he wants, expects special treatment and expects people to be okay with things he does that hurt them, citing the fact that the is quick to forgive, so they should be as well. feels strongly about having our family seen as perfect and enviable.....we as a family are strongly discouraged from speaking negatively about each other or about our family or its problems to anyone else. Our family name and reputation are extremely important. He believes he has a special call on his life from God to make great wealth for the kingdom of God.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mental Health
3/1/2010
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 7 years ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, the features you have mentioned fit the narcissistic personality disorder , but the ideas of grandiosity and beliefs that he has been god sent for special purpose , are called as delusions of grandiosity , and along with inflated self esteem are also seen in Mania , which is a part of Bipolar disorder .

So, your husband may be having both Narcissistic personality and Mania, but this needs to be confirmed by a thorough psychiatry evaluation by a psychiatrist , as mania ( bipolar disorder ) is serious condition and needs prompt attention by a psychiatrist and is to be appropriately treated by use of mood stabilzer drug , while Narcissitic personality is comparatively less serious condition , which requires counseling to deal with it.

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best..

Regards..

Thank you for your answer. He has strong religious beliefs and this kind of thinking is a common kind of theme in the church he attends, whiich is a non-denominational Christian church. He has been told by "prophets" at this church the same thing--that he has a calling on his life for wealth in order to bless God's people. I have a brother who is Bi-Polar and I don't think that is what he seems to have.

Regarding the narcissism, I hear that this particular disorder is difficult to treat because the person does not see the need for it personally. He has almost all of the symptoms I've read about, but the main ones he doesn't seem to have are outbursts of anger and arrogance, though he does care very much about how he is viewed by others and likes to see himself as "outstanding" and a leader and called for special purposes. he also wants his family to be seen as outstanding and as the model family for others to admire and even envy.

The other major issue with him is financial irresponsibility in the sense of risk-tasking, always pursuing the million-dollar deals, not being accountable financially, both to me and to business partners, lying about money issues. He is an entrepreneur and has charisma, which enables him to get people to buy into his businesses. However, eventually relationships begin to break down and he leaves behind a trail of damaged relationships and oftentimes ruined businesses....

Just trying to understand what I'm dealing with....

The more you reveal about his personality traits , his diagnosis of Narcissistic personality disorder becomes more likely the diagnosis , but yes it is also important to know that he himself would not go to a psychologist to get himself evaluated for his personality , as he sees no problem , but the brunt of his personality is being faced by you and family , so it is you who have to confront him and take out the negatives from his personality and make him realize that it is his particular personality which is causing tense atmosphere at home, and an insecure future professionally because of his risk taking ways ., which also are a part of his personality ..

You have to be very subtle in your approach in making him realize to seek conseling from a psychologist to curb / modify his personality traits , to enhance his overall personality , which is otherwise very endearing and charming , but for better and safe future needs a fine tuning.

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best..

Regards..

Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist