How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 251
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We live in southern california, id like to get help for my

Resolved Question:

We live in southern california, i'd like to get help for my daughter. I do not know what to do. She has/is using meth and is now violent and does not recognized her children and does not know what year it is. We have custody of her children but would like to somehow put her in treatment because of her condition. Please we need advise. Thank you.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for using I'm so sorry to hear your daughter and your family are going through this. To put her in treatment, generally she will have to be willing to go. This is the hard part. If she isn't willing to go there are only a few things you can do. First, if she appears to be a harm to herself or others, you can have her involuntarily committed to a psychiatric hospital against her will. (if she is does not know what year it is and doesn't recognize the children you may be able to commit her) There they will sober her up, get her stable psychiatrically and then you and the hospital may be able to convince her to go to treatment. Another option is to report anything she is doing that is illegal to the police. I know this is the last thing you want to do but it would get her away from using and most jails have therapeutic communities that help rehabilitate drug addicts. A third option is to call an interventionist in your area to conduct a family intervention to coerce her into treatment.

If the above options do not sound feasible, the only thing you can do is protect her children and seek treatment for them and for yourself to learn more about how to detach from her disease. You can get help by going to Alanon meetings or Families Anonymous meetings. Also you can read the book, "Getting them Sober", by Toby Rice Drews.

I hope this answer helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if you need clarification about this answer.

I wish you all the best with helping her.

Take care,
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions