How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 251
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am writing about my son. I am trying to find help for him.

This answer was rated:

Hi Doctors,
I am writing about my son. I am trying to find help for him. He is 21 years old. At age 15 he begin using marijuana and other drugs, he did not graduate from high school. He seems to sabotage every good thing and good opportunity that comes to him. He says he feels bad so he medicates himself with what ever is handy. He recently did 20 days in jail. At that time he was clean and clear, it was like my boy was back. Two weeks after he was released he got a job, two weeks later he totaled his car in an accident so now he has no way to work. He has no way to pay his rent. He was removed from our home because he brought drugs into our house and a loaded gun. I do not know what to do.
Thank you for using I am so sorry you and your son are going through this. It sounds like you are doing exactly what you should be doing. You are holding him accountable for his behaviors. For an addict, even when they are sober, they can have the addict behaviors of irresponsibility, inconsideration etc. The best thing for you to do is not allow him to break rules and disrupt your life with his behavior. If he comes to you and asks for help that is a different story, then you can support him and help him find treatment to learn how to lead a healthier and more productive life.
To continue to help him you can check out some al-anon meetings in your area or online. Also, you can read a great book called getting your children sober, by Toby Rice Drews. It is very helpful and will give you very specific directions on how to handle any future situations that may arise from his drug use.

I hope this answer helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Take care,
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you