Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
25692555

Will there every be a day when I wont have to take

Will there every be a day when I wont have to take anti-depressent medications?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for using Justanswer.com. It is possible to get to a point in your life where you may not need antidepressants any longer. It depends on if your depression was related to a situational issue or if it is a true biochemical issue of major depression. Usually, people will wait until their life is relatively stable. Then they will seek the advice of their therapist and psychiatrist and if everyone feels it is a good time to try to come off the medication, you can experiment with a slow taper to see how you do.

I hope this answer helps. Please let me know if you need further clarification of this answer.

Take care,
Kym
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Even if I got better for a couple months and now im doing worse?
It would still be a possibility. With therapy and changes in life situations sometimes people can come off medication. Some people do need to stay on them but everyday they are making better medications with fewer side effects and better outcomes.

I wish you all the best with this and encourage work with your therapist (if you have one) to learn more about lifestyle changes that can help with depression. ex: exercise, support groups, positive thinking skills, changing negative relationships, eating well, finding a spiritual connection in life, and pursing activities that make you happy.

Take care,
Kym