Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
25692555

How do I get over a breakup? (relationship) I just cry all

How do I get over a breakup? (relationship) I just cry all the time. I don;t know how to get over it.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 7 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for using JustAnswer! So sorry to hear you are having a hard time with the break up. Losing people either through death or a breakup can take quite some time to heal. There are stages of grief that people go through depression, anger, denial, bargaining, and acceptance. These different phases can change on a daily basis. It sounds like you may be in the depression stage which will normally resolve over time but If not I would suggest seeking out a grief therapist to help you through this very hard time.

The best thing to do is surround yourself with outside support and it sounds like you are doing that. Try to constantly remind yourself of the negatives in the relationship rather than thinking about the "good times". Remember that you can get through this and that it will open the door for finding a new person and a better relationship down the road. You are on the right track with trying to distract yourself but know that it can take a while months to years for some people depending on the length and commitment involved in the relationship. Sometimes with loss like this a counselor may refer you to a psychiatrist for a short stint with antidepressants medication if it doesn't look like the depression from the break up is healing in a natural way.

I hope this answer helps. Please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions or if you need clarification of this answer.

Take care,
Kym