How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 251
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my 5 year old daughter can be fairly aggressive and defiant

Resolved Question:

my 5 year old daughter can be fairly aggressive and defiant the school wants to place her in a behavior disability classroom I am refusing. I believe she is just angry because of her life style at home her father is a very angry man which in return makes me angry and impatient. I'm spending more time with her and speaking to her in a calm voice and making her older sister and dad do the same. It seems to make a difference at home but not at school. What do you think we should do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. Sorry to hear she is having this anger issues. It sounds like you have tried many of the behavioral techniques that would be recommended. I suspect she is still acting out at school because she can't express it at home? Maybe because of her father's past displays of anger? I'm not sure with this small look into her behavior. Regardless, I have a few suggestions you may want to consider. One, take her for a few sessions to a child therapist to see if after a full evaluation there are any suggestions based on your family dynamics that might be helpful. Second, I would suggest her father seeing a therapist that specializes in anger management to stop the root of the behavior problems. Third, family therapy might be a next step after dad has worked on his anger some.

I hope that answer helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if you need further clarification about this answer.
Take care,
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions