Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I have been taking Ativan and Xanax XR for 8 years. They

I have been taking Ativan...
I have been taking Ativan and Xanax XR for 8 years. They were initially given to me for anxiety and have increased in dosage over the years. I am now full-blown addicted - I can't sleep - f'fall over' into dep sleep without my ativan at night (6mg) or am very irritable and confused during the day without my Xanax XR in the morning (3mg). I also take a mood-stabilizer - Lamictal 200mg per day - in the morning. I want to get off these benzos - which one should I start with? My doctor just says 'Why? They burn clean. And we have tried a slow titrate 3 times over the years and I get stuck at the end and end up rapidly increasing back to where you were. Just take them or go enter a detox program.' I am a single father with a child and I cannot afford to be away from work or him for days, nor do I have the money to enter a detox program. Advice?
2/6/2010
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, i am mentioning below the process to bring you off both xanax xr and ativan , since the doses of both are moderately high , so , this will take around 4- 6 weeks for complete safe withdrawal. So, below is the withdrawal process , which i must stress should be discussed with your doctor before embarking upon it ..

Well, first you need to withdraw the morning dose of xanax xr , by starting with reduction of xanax xr to 2 mg morning dose , while continuing on 6 mg night dose of ativan , and continuing on it for 5 days , then after 5 days , further reduce the dose of xanax xr to 1 mg morning dose and then again after 5 days of continuing on 1 mg morning dose , you shall come off xanax completely , while continuing on the night dose of 6 mg ativan.

Now , once xanax xr is withdrawn in 10 days , then start withdrawing ativan , by reducing the dose of ativan to 4 mg night dose , continue on it for 1 week , and then at the end of the week , reduce the dose furthr to 2 mg night dose , and continue on it for another 1 week , and then at the end of this week of 2 mg ativan , further reduce the dose to 1 mg night dose , and continue on it for 5 days and then after 5 days, reduce the dose to 0.5 mg and after 5 days , bring the ativan off completely.

So, after 10 days of xanax xr withdrawal and 31 days of ativan withdrawal , so in all 41 days ( 6 weeks ) , both these drugs shall be withdrawn safely , but kindly discuss the withdrawal process with your doctor .

I hope tis helps...

I wish you all the best..

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards..

1. What sort of side-effects should I be on the look-out for?
2. That seems fast for the Xanax - is it because it is an XR rather than the non-extended release form?
3. If I get 'stuck' somewhere - like, say I notice after going from 4mg of the Xanax to the 2 mg of Xanax should I got to 1mg of the Xanax for 5 days - same with the Ativan - to slow down the reduction?
4. Should I expect I will be experiencing side-effects throughout this process?
Thank you for your reply - once these are answered I will accept. Thanks!

1) side effects such as restlessness, insomnia , agitation , craving for intake , tingling sensation , are common withdrawal side effects..

2) Well, yes exactly , because of slow dissipation of extended release version of xanax , less likely to cause withdrawal symptoms as compared to the xanax plain version..

3) Yes , if you get stuck then just be on the previous dose for some more days , preferaby for double the number of days , i have mentioned ( for example if you have side effects from coming down from 4 to 2 mg , then go back to 4 mg , and be on it for 1 more week , and then reduce to 3 mg , instead of 2 mg ).The same should be done for ativan..

4) I do not think you will be suffering any major side effects , but some minor side effects such as restlessnss and agitation for few initial days may be seen ..

Regards..

Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist