Tamara
Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified
25965815

I determined that I live in a lonely, sexless marriage

I determined that I live in a lonely, sexless marriage because I have been married for 47 years to a high achieving Asperger's person. You can also call it engineer's diagnosis that my husband has. He is retired now and I am having a hard time living with Mr. Spock.What can I do to help myself?
Hi there. I'm sorry to hear that you are having these difficulties in your marriage. I know it can be very hard living with someone like that. As you know, you are unlikely to change him, or even your marriage at this point in time. So your best option is to look for ways to enrich your own life, and stop trying to make your marriage something that it can't be.

From that perspective, I would encourage you to get involved in things that are of interest to do. Take a class, join a gym, join a book club - anything that you think you might enjoy is worth a try at this point. Women tend to get much more independent as they age, and you are in the perfect position to get to know yourself and explore your own interests. Get out of the house and take care of yourself!

Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara