How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. G. Your Own Question
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1525
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 30 yr old son has been depressed since his early 20's

Resolved Question:

My 30 yr old son has been depressed since his early 20's when he left home to make it in graph. design in LA He had super yrs.& bad years until lately when his clients folded with the economy & his ego, We found out he was self medicating with alcohol. He hid this & his depression from us.. After going to school there for an advanced degree with a 3.89, he has had to come home which made his depression worse.
He finally explained he drank because he was depressed (he still is) & it took us 3 yrs. for him to finally actually WANT to talk to someone. He does not drink now. We took him to a top 200 psychiatrist who won't to talk to him until he goes to alcohol rehab or AA which he already tried. He hates group therapy and is now earily (sp.) stoic and "calm" & more depressed. Now He has pulled out his eyebrows and sleeps all day. He needs help. Should he get it 1 st or go to AA 1st? That psychiatrist set us back 3 agonizing yrs. Should he go to a Psychologist instead?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 years ago.
I wold definitely get your son in to see a psychologist who can actually take the time to explore what is going on with your son and to offer treatment recommendations. I hope your son is willing to give this another chance. Psychiatrists normally don't do therapy and only spend a few minutes with patients. A therapist can give your son the time and attention he needs. He should discuss treatment options for alcohol with the therapist. This may be handled in therapy or he might be referred specifically for alcohol treatment. He is not drinking so that is a positive but he definitely needs therapy because medication is only half the solution.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I agree (but then what good are psyciatrists?). But the problem is, how do I get a top psychologist and do they take insurance? I don't want him to to get another dud. I've got to get someone really good right away this time.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 years ago.
A psychiatrist is good for giving meds and that is about it. As far as getting a good psychologist? Your son needs to get in to see any psychologist and see if it is the right fit or not. Just because a person is rated high does not mean it will be a good match for your son. Find a local psychologist and see if your son likes the person or not. it is a chance you have to take no matter who you see. If it is not a good fit then your son needs to move on to someone else. that is the way the business runs.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You are right but is there a referral service I can start with?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 years ago.
Usually no referrals are needed. Look in the phone book under mental health or counseling services and find one nearby. Start there.
Dr. G. and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your excellent and common sense answers. I needed to hear them.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
After writing something positive, I'm sorry to say that I forgot to click on the positive box. Can I still do that? If so how?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 years ago.
Not sure but don't worry about it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I thought I already clcked on the green button, did I or not? If I didn't, I'll do it right away.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 years ago.
thank you very much.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Did I already click on the green button? I don't want to do it twice.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 years ago.
you have not accepted this answer yet. please hit the green button.