How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anna Your Own Question
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1945
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Anna is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son age 23 years old was a very happy during his childhood.

Customer Question

My son age 23 years old was a very happy during his childhood. He is very gifted and intelligent. He was considered in his school as A student. He was always cheerful boy. However after he left home to study abroad for his university degree. He stopped suddenly his studies last year and came back with symptoms of sever depression. Since he came he does not want to see any one and even to go outside the house. Most of the time he keeps him self isolated. He does not seems to have any motivation for life. He spends most of his time thinking and reading about enlightenment. About 4 months ago he went to Europe to meet his friends and he said that during spiritual discussion he got confused and left his hotel and stayed two days in the street and caught by the authority to take him to psychiatric hospital. I took him to several psychologists and since then he is taking Omega-3, and Valerian. I can not see any strong improvement. Can you advice me.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.

Hi happy,

I would take your son to his GP for an evaluation, and to get an appt with a psychiatrist. He needs medication for his depression, as the herbal remedies didn't work. It looks like it's gone beyond that now. He is at the age when most people who develop schizophrenia do so, and his doctor will evaluate him for that as well. Before things get worse and his problems become more entrenched, he needs medical help and psychiatric medication.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.