How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cathy Your Own Question
cathy, Mental Health Professional
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1436
Experience:  MS., MS.Ed., 30 years clinical and administrative experience in psychiatry and mental health
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
cathy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend has PTSD and is experiencing flashbacks from

Resolved Question:

My boyfriend has PTSD and is experiencing flashbacks from extreme childhood abuse. I don't know how to help him. Is there a treatment for PTSD and what kind of therapist should we seek?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  cathy replied 7 years ago.

Hi jno and thanks for writing

Yes there are many treatments for PTSD and yes it is very common for people with PTSD to self medicate.

While I am a psychoanalytically oriented therapist I find brief treatment best and I would refer your partner to a clinician trained in CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). As for the self medicating, if that gets out of hand look for a program called ARISE in your area. Its a non blaming program for addicts/alcoholics that serves both families and those they love.

I hope you can find a caring and compassionate therapist who will get him through this.

Very best wishes on such a tough question.

Good Luck.


cathy and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions