Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
25692555

I have been using cannabis on and off for 8 years ,and for

i have been using cannabis on and off for 8 years ,and for the last 6 months been suffering escalating paranoia, deppression and loss of confidence witch has started to serisouly affect the way i feel and deal with a lot of situations in my day to day life.
I have recently cut right down to just a couple of smokes of some weaker cannibis in the late evening, i am really worried about whats happening to me and if i will ever return to my normal confident happy self and what ill need to do to get back there?
Thank you for using JustAnswer. Sorry to hear this is happening to you. This is actually a very common experience for marijuana smokers. As time goes on your body can start to develop a tolerance to marijuana and when people try to cut back they can experience anxiety because the body is withdrawing from the marijuana. On the other hand some people use marijuana to self-medicate an underlying anxiety disorder and over time the marijuana stops working for the person and starts to exasperated the anxiety symptoms. Either way, the best way to get the anxiety to stop is to quit smoking all together and most people can return to a normal level of confidence and emotional stability. If you have trouble stopping all together you can go see a substance abuse therapist and they can help you stay stopped.
I hope this answer helps, please let me know if you need further information.
Take care,
Kym
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what about the paranoia and deppression and i forgot to mention cannabis is only the main drug i use i also take a lot other substances on a less regular basis i have been really battling booth of the symptoms above and have learned that its mainly soon after smoking cannabis and being in a group of people that triggars me into a really strong down ward spiral of paranoia and lack of confidence like im being crushed its awfal and really need to no if i am ever going to come through it?
Hi again,
Yes you will most definitely come through it. There can be some brain injury associated with excessive drug use but most people can recover from these types of symptoms if they catch it early and stop using drugs that produce these effects. If you are having these effects right after smoking and when your high around a group of people you will need to stop smoking completely to get a clear picture if it's going to get any better. And I really believe it will. I see this on a daily basis in my day job and it does get better. I would suggest seeing a substance abuse therapist and they can help you stop using all the drugs and evaluate your paranoia and depression more fully.

I hope this answer helps, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best of luck,
Kym