How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gina P Your Own Question
Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 175
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Gina P is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am certain that my 48 year old sister has a type of

Resolved Question:

I am certain that my 48 year old sister has a type of paranoid disorder which is manifesting itself as a fear that her ex husband is trying to murder her. She was found with a handgun at her side as she was taking a nap by her son and when confronted by him she said that she had it for protection. She has wired her bedroom against intruders and placed rope by the dooorway and dishes against the windowsill. She has over the years accused her husband ( an anesthesiologist) of attempting to murder her and I think her paranoia has reached a state which makes me concerned that she may either shoot one of her children or someone near her house like a delivery person. She will not talk to me or my mother and I think she is also addicted to medication for ADHD and other mood altering prescriptions. What can I do to help her?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Gina P replied 7 years ago.
Hi, Many states have psychiatric committment laws to assist when the loved one is unable to help themself. It sounds as if you sister may meet criteria for the committment. She has an overt gesture (gun) and paranoia, delusional thought process. So she may be a danger to herself or other people, expecially if she believes her husband may be trying to kill her. I would recommend you contact the circuit court in the county she lives, and request assistance with this. Every county should also have a community mental health officer who can answer questions or file a committment petition if needed. You can reach them through the local mental health center. Please let me know if you have other questions. Gina
Gina P and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you