How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kaushik Your Own Question
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 4661
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Kaushik is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hopefully,. Kaushik since you have my prevoius question in

Resolved Question:

Hopefully, this is Dr. Kaushik since you have my prevoius question in regard to 'specific person anxiety' that my wife is suffering from.
As you know, my wife bloats immediately after eating when she is around me; nobody else. She can eat a small piece of cheese and literally bloat to equate a 7 month pregnancy. It is that immediate and severe. We are presently seeing a psychologist that has given us some theraputic ideas but of course not medication.
Here are my wife's concerns:
1) She feels like she is 'defective' because she feels this way. I have told her that it is my fault for causing her to feel this way, but since this condition appears somewhat rare (you are the only person that has defined it), she feels 'weird'. Could you please provide her some insight into this? Part of the problem is that she blames herselF.
2) Can a physcologist recommend medication if he goes through our family doctor or do we have to see a psychiatrist in order for her to receive medication?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, a psychologist does not have as much knowledge as a psychiatrist about psycho-pharmacology , that is psychiatry drugs , although the psychologist can recommend drugs which you can get prescribed from a doctor , this can also work for her , and as it has been suggested by me , she needs to be put on a combnation of 1 anti depressant such as either effexor xr or paxil cr and 1 anti anxiety drug such as either klonopin or ativan . So, discuss these drugs with your psychologist and then with your doctor and hopefully this will help her come out of her specific person anxiety , and yes , continue on the psychotherapy ( counseling ) from her psychologist , and i am quite sure this combination of drug therapy and psychotherapy will help her fight the anxiety .

Also, this time ask your psychologist to try Cognitive behavioural therapy ( CBT ) with your wife , this is a type of psychotherapy , quite effective treatment method in anxiety patients as your wife.

Now , as far as me telling her about giving up such anxiety while eating in front of you , i would tell her that she has a loving and caring husband who is supportive of her so much and loves her without any conditions attached , so she should stop worrying and getting anxious while eating in front of him , your husband is not judging you , he wants you to be happy and healthy and stop being such conscious self in front of him , and enjoy meals and life with him .

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best..

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.


Dr. Kaushik and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you