How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ralph LMHC Your Own Question
Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 872
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Ralph LMHC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our daughter suffers from PDD with strong OCD. She is on

Customer Question

Our daughter suffers from PDD with strong OCD. She is on respiradone, clomipramine and sertraline to help her (and us) cope. Nevertheless, she still gets "stuck" on random things and, because she can but does not like to talk, we very frequently don't know what it is causing the impediment. For example, she will stop dead in the middle of setting the table and refuse to even move. When we try to ask or guess what is stopping her, she will say (yell), "You know!" when obviously we don't, or call us foul names. She will become increasingly agitated when we fail to guess or try to communicate more and increasingly ends up trying to hit or pinch (bite/kick etc.) We have been given coping strategies (and meds) from professionals, have tried diet change and give her large dosages of Omega three. We are to the point of institutionalization if things don't change. She is ruining our family. Is there some sort of quick-acting sedative that we could use. Help!
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.


There are apparently severe communications disorder. I would suggest that you that your approach may not be productive. If she is receiving medication to control her inappropriate behavior, there are several others to chose from. If you are not able to adapt to her bizarre behavior, then maybe the approach shouldbe to get her into a residence for peple with severe PDD. Visitation can the take place without a total shut off. Good luck and best wishes. . You can maintain contact and not be overwhelmed

Best wishes and good luck.


Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

We are looking into the idea of a facility but that is a long-term process. I guess what I am asking is what can we do now until we find a place for her. Do you have any other medication ideas (we have gone through several) that you have seen are more effective for "melt-downs" or is there some strategy or med that can quickly stop a specific explosive episode? We would welcome "getting unstuck" strategies. Attempts to be cheerful or ignore her or continue to search for the trigger haven't been much help. Is there a good methodology that you have seen works for getting people to move-on with activities, even temporarily?

Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

Hello,You are dealing with a chronic, situation for which there unfortunately are

no quick fix.


Ralph LMHC