Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

Please help me, every time i start dating man i get so

hi please help me, every time i start dating man i get so nervous that i literlly shake and do be afraid to speek only when i drink can i feel confidant.The last guy i was with was a lovely guy and he was very confident,he stayed with me for 3 months but finally gave up on me cause of this.Its just with guys that are very confident im like this.Im just like this with the talking part of the relationship.I cant seem to relax thinking what is he thinking about me all the time.And afraid to speakincase i cant speak properally with the nerves.Only with men relationships im like that,guys that im dating.Im a 35 year old woman and cant be like this anymore,im fine with friends and my job.Is there any medication i can take to overcome this and relax me in these situations that i would be relaxed and able to speak?. thanks Caroline
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

There are 2 suggestions that I would recommend. The anxiety on your part can be assisted with an anti anxiety med like klonopin and or anti depressant-antianxiety medication like with paxcil. In addition to the medication I would suggest

the use of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. In CBT, one is taught new ways of thinking and behaving and as a result, one's mood improves. anxiety and panic decrease. In addition CBT is evidenced based as the most effective form of treating anxiety. See:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinformation/therapies/cognitivebehaviouraltherapy.aspx

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC