cathy
cathy, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  MS., MS.Ed., 30 years clinical and administrative experience in psychiatry and mental health
25773729

What is the percentage of anorexics that achieve recovery

Customer Question

what is the percentage of anorexics that achieve recovery and lead normal lives??
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  cathy replied 7 years ago.

Hi one and thanks for using Justanswer.com

are you talking about anorexics with treatment?

anorexics without treatment?

who comply with follow up?

who have complications with bulimia?

substance dependence?

with co existing and diagnosed mood disorders?

thanks for more info on this

Cathy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
anorexics with treatment
Expert:  cathy replied 7 years ago.

Hi one, the rate of recovery for people with anorexia is very succesful depending on the type of treatment that one gets.

I am going to sign off for one moment to give a site you can explore this further.

Hold on one moment so I can better help you on this.

Thanks

Cathy

Expert:  cathy replied 7 years ago.

Hi one and thanks for your patience. I am sending you the mayo clinic article with treatment protocol, not because I think that it is the best, ***** ***** is most readable for a lay person.

Success rates for anorexia nervosa have risen dramatically over the past three decades as we use a multi faceted approach: medicine, family and group therapy as well as individual psychotherapy. The mortality and morbidity rate for eating disorders has (thankfully) declined to single digits since the illness was first classified and treated in the 70's and 80's. If you have an or have a family member with an, the best thing you can do is an early intervention and provide as much support as you can.

This remains a troubling and difficult disorder and the person with an needs as much compassion and tolerance as can be provided.

Here is the mayoclinic site that can help you get started.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/anorexia/DS00606/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

Please do let me know if you need more help on this.

all my very best wishes to you.

Cathy