Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

Why would someone never be able to cry when emotionally hurt

why would someone never be able to cry when emotionally hurt but easily cry at sad movies?
I see this a lot, including sometimes in my self. When we hurt personally, emotionally, our natural instinct is to protect ourself from the pain. We can suppress it, or shove it away. At the movies, we can let down our defenses and identify or empasize with the characters. It can catch us off guard, and/or not be so threatening to us personally. Occasionally these outlets will let other pain slip through and we may get a much need cry out of it.

You sound like you are very controlled and try to make everything right, except for yourself. Making sure everyone else is ok is a tough job. I hope you can also see the perspective that in a way, it is insulting. You have to make sure they are ok - the implication is that they are not capable of taking care of themselves. I think if you focus more on your feelings instead of diverting you attention to the overwhelming and impossible task of taking care of others, perhaps you can attend to your needs and emotions and have a nice cry.