How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 251
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 25 year old man, I feel hatred towards children and I

This answer was rated:

Hello I am 25 year old man, I feel hatred towards children and I don't know why, and I wish could stop. I try and ask my self why and I cant find the answer. I don't want to hate anybody but this angry feelings comes to me every time I am around a child. The children don't necessarily have to behave bad in order to trigger this angry feelings, I don't know what this angry feelings are, they could possibly be jealousy or resentment I am not a bully or anything like that, I think very mature towards this problem, but I feel very embarrass to talk to anybody about it, I have a child myself which I love very much, I haven't got this problem with him, even thought he misbehaves some times like other children, which also leaves me confuse, I try to use the love I have for my child to tackle this anger problem towards other children , I feel like I am very selfish, but I wish to stop, "maybe the real question should be- how to stop being selfish?, I try to look back at my childhood to see if
Thank you for using JustAnswer! Sorry to hear you are struggling with this issue. Often times when we can speculate about the cause of a problem it is usually the correct answer. It sounds like there is some sort of transference related to the anxiety you felt as a child. Anxiety can come out as anger when we get older because it can be an easier more manageable emotion than anxiety sometimes.

I would suggest, briefly, seeking the services of a therapist that specializes in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. They will look at your past and present behaviors and help you change the thoughts/feelings that are causing you to have this anger reaction to children. The fact that you are not this way with your own child leads me to believe that talking with a CBT therapist would work very well because you are able to not have this reaction off with your own child.

I hope this answer helps, please let me know if you need clarification or if you have any other questions.

Take care, Kym

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hello Kym Tolson, thank you for your reply, I wanted to ask you one last question.

As a child my mother always left me on my own in the night time, because she had to work, I was always scare and had a lot of nervous attacks, this experience left me very nervous for the rest of my life which I also think is the reason I have a sleep disorder today, I hallucinate a lot at night and many times in the year I get up hallucinating life threatening things, 2 years ago I jumped out of window thinking I saw a ghostly man on my room, I suffered minor injuries because I was on a first floor. today I try to protect my self before going to bed, I close windows and lock door and prepare myself for any hallucination so I can calm my self when I do, so far- every night I get to see many things shadows and weird things but I have been getting used to them.

I want to ask you if the same type of specialist that you recommended me can help this other isue, let me know of anything else to help this problem

thank you, ***** ***** me

Hi againCustomer
Thanks for this question as well. There are a couple of things that could be going on with this. There is something called hypnagogic hallucinations that sometimes happen to people. The underlying cause is not always known but sometimes it can be related to narcolepsy, past drug use, sleep deprivation, stress, or even some medications. For this type of problem I would suggest going for a sleep study, seeing your primary care Dr. and even a neurologist for further evaluation of this problem. If they can not find a reason then the CBT specialist can work on this issue with you as well. I would suggest researching this through medical professionals and then a therapist if it turns out to be a psychological issue that is causing stress or sleep deprivation.

I hope this answer helps as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Take care, Kym