How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Ed Wilfong Your Own Question
Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1528
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Ed Wilfong is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son will be 18 this month. He told me that he started

Customer Question

My son will be 18 this month. He told me that he started seeing people in the 8th grade. He didn't know them. Some would talk to him and they would go away when asked to until now. He sees a man in black always lerking in the darkness, will not show his face and will not talk. My son feels he is bad and is terrified. He is now terrified of the dark and wont drive his car at night. He cant sleep, says he wakes up l5 to 20 times a night. He knows this guy is standing over him. I cant get to a psychiatrist for 2 weeks. How do I help my son. Could it be a vitamin deficiency. He has had several MRI's and CAT scans in the last year for a left transverse sinus thrombosis, which is now gone. There seems to be nothing on the MRI's. He is otherwise doing great, he socializes, gets A's in school and is looking to go to college. Help me help my son.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 7 years ago.
You are describing serious hallucinations. The best thing you can do is take him to the psychiatrist. There are excellent medications that should make the voices go away. I cannot tell the exact diagnosis without seeing him, but psychiatry is on the right track.

After having dealt with this for so many years, he may also need to go to counseling to help get his perspective back after having it distorted for so long.

It is clear to me that you are doing all you can. I know how frustrating the wait is, but it should be worth it.
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 7 years ago.
PS. I missed an important part of your question-vitamins. I am unaware of any vitamin deficience that would cause this. Also, the neurologists involved in his scans would know about any such conditions. The psychiatrist would also. If he is in even decent health and nutrition it is unlikely. These are usually biologically based disorders that are unforeseeable. They often come without warning.

Related Mental Health Questions