Srgenhands
Srgenhands,
26533498

I later learned from the Canadian College of Physicians &

Customer Question

I later learned from the Canadian College of Physicians & Surgeons that my employer's contracted psychiatrist had diagnosed me as having Severe Major Depressive Episode, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder, Phobic Avoidance of Management at Work and he provided me with cognitive-behaviour therapy (CBT). CBT for depression and anxiety? Something is amiss here? A person with depression and anxiety wouldn't have problems with judgment and cognitive abilities, right?
This psychiatrist wrote "He did show some clear degree of insight into his recalcitrant behaviour in psychotherapy, but the “aggressive” style of management subsequently swamped his improving levels of trust and ability to adapt & cooperate in a team approach. He has felt insecure in his current job as a result of the strategies of his current management to assert their management philosophy.”
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Srgenhands replied 7 years ago.

This isn't referring to your cognitive abilities, or how smart you are. CBT means you use mental exercises and conditioning to alter behavior (as opposed to pharmacotherapy like lithium or valium). This has nothing to do with intelligence. It has only to do with the technique involved.... they want you to THINK differently to train your mind not to go into stress mode in certain situations. Usually CBT is combined with medication with excellent results.