Tamara
Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified
25965815

Hi, Ive been suffering from anxiety for about 3 months

Customer Question

I've been suffering from anxiety for about 3 months now and it has become quite severe now to the point where it is runing every aspect of my life.I think the trigger of the anxiety was starting my final year at uni, but anziety is a constant cycle, and by feeling anxious, this caused further symptoms. I find it hard to carry on with my normal life because I do not find enjoyment and pleasure in thing I used to do or even care that much about my studies that I used to! My education is ruined, I am seriosuly contemplating derring a year of university, my weight has also gone down dramatically as I've lost my appetite. My family were supportive in the beginning but now I think they hate me!

They just think Im a weak person and dont seem to understand why I have anxiety.I just want to feel normal again and hate feeling like this, it feels like Im a totally different person now!I do feel like Im losing it, compared to before this happened I was just a normal girl!Any advice?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Tamara replied 7 years ago.
Hi there. I'm sorry you are having such a hard time right now. From what you are describing it sounds like you are experiencing some depression along with your anxiety. Your description of lack of interest, no pleasure, weight loss, are all symptoms of depression. I would suggest you talk with your Dr. about a prescription for an antidepressant medication. This should help you start feeling better and assist you in getting motivated again. You might also want to look into seeing a therapist for awhile. Therapy is very effective for anxiety and depression, esp. in combination with medication. If you are still in school, your school might have mental health services available to you and little or reduced charge. Best wishes. I hope you feel better soon. Tamara
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The doctor did give me anti-depressants but I do not want to try them because of the long list of side effects!

I have seeked help from my university but have not found them that useful. I just want to feel my normal, happy, studious self again and so far cannot imagine a good future for myself! It seems like a have tried a lot of things but no luck or probably i have not been patient enough.

I really feel that I am losing it and I think my family are worried about that too. I often have irrational, suicidal thoughts and just feel so totally hopeless!

Expert:  Tamara replied 7 years ago.
Well, all I can tell you is that antidepressants will probably help you feel better. I understand that some people don't like to take medication, but SSRI's really have very few side effects. And honestly, if you are feeling that bad, I can't imagine that you wouldn't trade a few mild side effects for feeling suicidal and hopeless. That just doesn't make sense. I would encourage you to reconsider medication, and also seeking therapy. If the help at the university was unhelpful, then look for someone outside of that setting who deals with depression and anxiety. You need to get some help for this - but you also need to be willing to try the help that is available. Best wishes. Tamara