How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ralph LMHC Your Own Question
Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 872
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Ralph LMHC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im a 29 year old male and on what you could call a downward

This answer was rated:

Hello, im a 29 year old male and on what you could call a downward spiral. Ever since i can remember ive always been different to the other 'guys', whilst they'd be playing football i'd be sneaking off and dressing up in my sisters clothes or watching girly cartoons etc. over the years these 'urges' have started getting worse and worse to the point where im strugling to repress them. I feel completely uncomfortable with my body and with who i am. As it stands no one knows about how im feeling as i know if i told my family and friends about my gender problem they'd probably disown me. So, as you can tell im at a loose end, is there any treatment to help repress this so i can live a normal life, or anything that can help at all? Any advise would be greatfully appreciated.


From your brief description you may be under going what is called a gender identity disorder. It is not a disease, but is commonly described by patients that are a man trapped in woman's body or vice versa. To try to help you repress would definitely be counter therapeutic. It would be like trying to help a gay man or lesbian lpass as straight. The stress is unimaginable. In your case the goal would be to help you to stop repressing your thoughts and feelings which are in part biologically determined and come to grips with the reality, not to help you try to pass. I know what I have stated is in itself stress creating, but the alternative is significantly worse. I suggest you seek therapy from some one who is learned in GLBT community.- Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender. I hope you consider my suggestion and move expeditiously. I wish you the best.


Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Ralph LMHC and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you