Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

I am suffering from anxiety state but a psychiatrist has

I am suffering from anxiety state but a psychiatrist has said he can find no psychiatric anomaly in me. Is that a contradiction of diagnosis?
HelloCustomer

Could you please enlist your symptoms?

Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you Dr Vikas for your reply. I retired from teaching in 1996 through stress/anxiety state. My confidence had been broken due to a number of very difficult years teaching. I became quite ill exhibiting stress, worry, lack of concentration, sleep inability, excessive worry, ocd eg touching/checking etc. I was retired on ill health. Part of my pay was and still is met by an insurance company.Every five years I am re-assessed by an insurance company doctor. Every psychiatrist, behavioualist, counsellor has said it was important to leave teaching. After nine or ten years I finally accepted that no-one was going to try and force me back to that job and the last four years have been happy generally. I started taking sertraline after the last assessment four years ago. Last week I saw the latest psychiatrist. He has worried me because he said he can see no psychiatric anomaly in me. This has made me worry that the insurance company will now try to disallow my claim and I will be forced back to teaching which I feel I cannot do. I am terrified I will relapse badly again, lose my income, my home etc. His argument is that I have been generally happy since starting the sertraline and that I would now cope with teaching again. Is this the info you require? I have tried to be brief.
HelloCustomer

Thanks for your reply. I feel that I will not be able to answer your question.

Honestly speaking, a thorough mental status examination is necessary before I can say something and this is not possible on internet.

Therefore I am opting out of this question and hopefully our other expert will try to answer you as soon as possible.

Regards

Since my learned colleague opted out, I will attempt to answer your question. I get a sense that on the insurance companies side it is all about money. You describe numerous anxiety disorder symptoms "quite ill exhibiting stress, worry, lack of concentration, sleep inability, excessive worry, ocd eg touching/checking etc.' that if still present would warrant an an or several anxiety disorder diagnoses. There is clearly a contradiction in what you describe (if still present) and the description of no "psychiatric anomaly in me". If you are able you should hire an independent psychiatrist to conduct a mental status exam as referred to by Dr. Vikas. This person should have no vested interest except the truth. I hope this was helpful and wish you the best.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience: 20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. Just one point I would like to clarify please. Is it appropriate to say that because the sertraline has improved my mental well-being it is now therefore acceptable to return to teaching. I ask because I still feel this is unwise.

This is more associated with your mental status which as Dr. Vikas stated would require an in depth examination. For whatever the basis if your were functional and able to perform your assigned tasks, then you would be able to return to work. The medication is a non issue. I will be away for a few hours but will be available for follow up this afternoon Eastern Daylight Savings Time.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much. I shall speak to my doctor although he is adamant as have all the psychiatrists and others I have seen over the last ten years been that I should put teaching behind me and get on with the future.

Anyone can give an opinion as to whether you are capable of teaching, but the only one who knows is you the client. You may be wrong, but the again the ultimate decision is yours. Providers tend to underestimate the capabilities of the client, as they don't know the inner strength that a person potentially possesses. How many times have you heard in the physical model things like he w ill never walk and through the strength of will participate in marathons. Best wishes and good lucky.

Sincerely,
Ralph LMHC