How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cathy Your Own Question
cathy, Mental Health Professional
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1436
Experience:  MS., MS.Ed., 30 years clinical and administrative experience in psychiatry and mental health
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
cathy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think that my 8 year old grandson has bipolar disorder. I

Resolved Question:

i think that my 8 year old grandson has bipolar disorder. I would like to know the leading experts in the united states to treat this condition
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  cathy replied 7 years ago.

Hi grandmother and thanks for using

I am going to ask for more information. Bi Polar Disorder has been a term that has been loosely used for the past few years

what specifically makes you think he might have this disorder?

Thanks so much


cathy and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He has had this diagnosis at the Markus Institute in Atlanta, Georgia and is displaying al of the symptoms of childhood onset bipolar disorder. Earlier they thought he might have Asperger's Syndrome, but lately they are leaning toward bipolar disorder with obsessive compulsive disorder and anxiety.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
did you get my response?
Expert:  cathy replied 7 years ago.

HI Grandmother and thanks for the added information,

First off I am sorry to hear that your grandson is experiencing so many problems. Its a very good thing that you are on this and so early in life.

A few things, one is that you live near a few major teaching universities that will provide you with great care in Georgia. Emory University has one of the best psych teaching progams in the country and they have conducted many trials on bi polar disorder. I am going to give you the link so that you can contact them for referral. Emory Univesity not only has one of the top autism programs (Aspergers) but also has done landmark work with respect to Bi Polar Disorder. They will re evaluate your grandson to be sure that he is correctly diagnosed (second opinions are not a bad thing) and help to find the best treatment program Emory is very advanced as go wholistic and non invasive therapies and have five different options for treatment.

You are lucky you are living so close to a university that is really cutting edge on this. By the way, most, if not all the treatments do not require insurance, although some do. So dont worry if money is a consideration. I think it is not only one of the best psychiatry department programs in the country but perhaps the world and you will be very well treated there. I live near Boston and where our progams are first rated in the country but I would absolutely recommend Emory to anyone seeking help.

Here is the link

You wont find the correct category right away. Click until you find what you are looking for (as you can see it is a very large research hospital and university).

I wish you all the best and that your grandson is treated well and soon.

You have all my best Grandmother. I can only imagine how worrie you must be.


Please press accept to accept this response but if you have more questions do feel free to ask.

cathy and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do you think that there is anywhere is the U.S. that would provide a more definitive diagnosis or anymore specialized consultation?