How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gina P Your Own Question
Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 175
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Gina P is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father was put in prison on Monday for a very serious

This answer was rated:

My father was put in prison on Monday for a very serious crime, and is facing possibly a life sentence. I'm really tore up over this. I don't know how to deal with it. How should one deal with something this tragic?

Hi, It is important for you to take the focus off yourself as much as possible, and be supportive of your father now. I am not sure of the crime he has committed, but do your best to separate him as your father from the behavior he has had. He will need your support if you are able to provide it for him. Not support of his crime, but support as your father.

Spend time with friends and family who are there for you as well. Those who will listen if you need to talk and not pass judgment on you at this time. If things get worse for you, such as problems sleeping and appetite, seek assistance from your MD for medications.

This is a difficult time. Learning to accept what has happened is a process and will take some time for you, your family, and your father. You can expect to pass through the stages of grief in deling with this. Those are: bargaiing, denial, anger, depression and acceptance. The grief may be connected to your father, the loss. May also be connected to your future expectations of you and your family, and what you would have liked to happen. There are many different types of feelings you can expect. Give yourself time to adjust. Hope this helps. Gina

Gina P and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you