Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

Is it possible for a "medical scare" that required surgery

Is it possible for a "medical scare" that required surgery and some extremely painful procedures to trigger some type of anxiety or panic disorder? Thank you.

Absolutely any frightening event can be the stressor that causes an acute stress response that eventually can evolve into Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I have included two links that can provide in depth information supportive of the answer. I hope that this answer has been helpful and i wish you the best!.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acute_stress_reaction

also: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd/index.shtm

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. The links will be very helpful.

My pleasre to be of assistance and best wishes in obtaining help!

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC