How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Ed Wilfong Your Own Question
Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1528
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Ed Wilfong is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a son who I feel was dx with adhd an bipolor but I

Customer Question

I have a son who I feel was dx with adhd an bipolor but I belived to be asbergers austim an in now Beeville Tx. an I need a doctor in the systems to check him an give the proper dx so they can treat him properly .Is there any way to a doctor to go there
Submitted: 7 years ago via HealthBoards.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 7 years ago.
I would contact the Texas Psychiatric Association and find a license BOARD CERTFIED Psychiatrist as close as possible. I went to TTU, but have no clue where you are. You may also want to try a local physician/pediatrician for a referral. As I review, I am not sure what you mean. Is son 21 and in prison???? Try going to his attorney and the department of corrections health board if that is the case.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
he is in prison, im in dallas tx i have tried that this child had high fevers after birth his hear to his rt ear is not good, he had to have a speech therpist at the age of 2, he was sent to mental hosp in greenville for a week at the age of 5 he could not be main streamed the school tried it only lasted 3 days before he would blow up, he took my pato table apart at 2 he does not give eye contact and when he talks he moves his fingers wipes his face and the conversation goes over my head he get deep mentally he deep thinks everything meds only work for short period then makes him sick his facial appears to me is different ,now he is having gastric problems i have ask him to ask for the test he is unable to get a high school education eye q is low he is special ed he does not answer question the way they want him to. they say he dont care just having problems with the system
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 7 years ago.
As sad as it is, if an advocacy group (prison right, ACLU, me ntal health association) refuses to involved (I include his attorney in this) the is not much I am aware of you can do. Competency issues would have (should have) been raised pre-trial. Unfortunately, the best you can likely do is get some support to help you feel better. I am sorry I don't have any better ideas. Texas DOC is not known for compassion.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you been in the system since was 14yrs old i continue to hear the same thing i feel that there was psychologist that some one knew in the system that could help me make his life a little better if only some would understand what was wrong they may stop trying to push pills and chart refuse i feel they know that there is more wrong but not experences to make the correct dx i thought i would get better help from a larger medical base system public defenders are no help.
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 7 years ago.
wish I had alternative for you