Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

I have PTSD and am wondering what diet works best.

The mainstream research is not very supportive of diet as a means of treating PTSD. But here is some research that a hypoglycemic diet may be beneficial for PTSD. See:

http://www.hypoglycemia.asn.au/articles/PTStress.html In my research I have found only positive things and no negatives, so it would seem to make sense to give it a try as long as all your other blood chemistry is being monitored.

A similar situation is to be found with the use of EMDR, mainstream research does not support it, but there are some indications that it helps. If I were to be in the position of having PTSD and the devastating symptoms that are associated with it, then candidly, I would first try conventional means like psychotherapy and medication and if the results were not satisfactory, I would try anything that was not harmful to obtain alleviation.

I hope this information has been helpful and wish you the best and what better preoccupation is there than to try and find relief for this devastating illness.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am in pshycotherapy, and have tried medication. The medications all have side effects that I don't tolerate, with the exception of xanax, which most don't like to prescribe long term because of the addiction aspects of the drug. So I thought as long as I can't take xanax to lessen the effects of PTSD that maybe some changes in my diet might provide some relief.

As I said I absolutely agree withn you. The one addition that I might make is to try cognitive behavioral therapy. In CBT you learn new ways of thnking and acting and as a result your feelings improve. It is evideced based effective on anxiety disorders.

See:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinformation/therapies/cognitivebehaviouraltherapy.aspx

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much. I am on the right track and will check the websites you have provided.

Good Luck

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC