How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kelley Your Own Question
Kelley, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1018
Experience:  BSW, MSW, LCSW
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Kelley is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my son (28) does not take his meds for bipolar. The family

Resolved Question:

my son (28) does not take his meds for bipolar. The family thinks he is lazy and not trying to get well. He is very bright, attractive and used to have an appealing personality. This has changed since onset approx 3 years ago. I have gotten him doctors, psychologists and a private pay program to get him involved in volunteering which he did not do, He seems to have gotten worse. Currently he lives in San francisco, on SSI and during the day and evenings he just walks the streets, has a coffee and is generally withdrawn from people. thanks for any insight into families and bipolar. also, even though he is not on meds he complains of head aches, humming in the head. sad mom
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kelley replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer!

If he currently has a psychiatrist I would suggest you contact them to see if he may need hospitalization while they figure out what medications and doses work best for him. The problem is that a lot of people when they get on the right medications feel like they are "cured" and stop taking them since they feel so much better and then they decompensate again. He defiantly needs to get back on and stay on his medications.

There are programs that he may qualify for and I would suggest starting with either his doctor or the local mental health clinic. There are teams that can deliver his medications to him weekly or even daily and make sure he is taking them and is stable. There will be criteria he has to meet and each one is different so it is best to call the ones that would be assisting him. There are also group homes where he could live and get his medications daily and intense therapy. These programs also go through the mental health clinics as well as day treatment programs.

I would also suggest for you to attend NAMI groups. They would be a great help for you in dealing with your son.

Please let me know if I can assist anymore. I am here to help.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I find these programs where they monitor meds? He has a history of taking off and disappearing for a week and then being hospitalized, stablized and then released only to quit after a while and then the cycle repeats. He has taken my car and his truck and then disappeared on foot, plane.. etc. I live out of state. I can call his doctor. Also, I have attended NAMI trainings and found them unhelpful. It is hard to sit and listen to everyones very sad situation for a couple of hours after a long day at work. I think the facilitators were not skilled in managing the group. I also have a MA in psychology so I talk a lot with my friends at work and a friend whose son also has a mental illness.

Also, initially he was in the outpatient program at Langley Porter hospital in san francisco and did really well until after he went off the abilify. The issue seems to be the aftercare. He also claims he'll committ suicide if he has to live in a group home. He has also done serious cutting on his arms and legs. After the seroquel was stopped, he stopped harming himself.
Expert:  Kelley replied 7 years ago.
To find the programs that monitor the medications I would call the local mental health clinic in his area. Here in Florida they are called FACT team but not sure what they are called else where. You may be able to call them and describe your sons situation and then ask them for what programs he may be appropriate for. He sounds like he may need to go back to the hospital and then back to a day program if that is what helped in the past. Once in the hospital the social wokers that work with him sould also be able to give you a lot of resources to the area and even get him started in the programs that are appropriate for him.
Kelley and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions